Thanks everybody, I didn't mean to start a flamewar...
I do get it now, it's whatever python is in the path, vs. the specific one you're pointing to.

Ben Finney wrote:

No, because it's quite common for the PATH variable to have
'/usr/local/bin' appear *before* both of '/bin' and '/usr/bin'.

If the system has a sysadmin-installed '/usr/local/bin/python'
installed as well as the OS-installed '/usr/bin/python', then the two
shebang options the OP raised will behave differently on such a
system. This seems to be quite the point of the discussion.

And I have to admit, I prefer specifying the version (full path) because I have run into too many problem when users have different PATHs and end up running different version of an interpreter.

Yves.
--
http://www.SollerS.ca