Yves Dorfsman wrote:
On UNIX, some people use
#!/usr/bin/env python

While other use
#!/usr/bin/python

Why is one preferred over the other one ?

Caveat: I've only read *most* of this thread, so maybe someone else has already made the following point.

It depends on the context. Ultimately, when your script is installed, it (almost certainly) should point to the precise Python executable the installer intends it to run on. One of the features of distutils is that it will *rewrite* "#!/usr/bin/env python" to use the exact executable that the installer used to execute the setup.py.

So *as a developer* I recommend writing your scripts with "#!/usr/bin/env python". This lets distutils select the correct executable, and it lets your users play around with your scripts prior to installation without needing to rewrite the shebang line manually. I hate trying out someone's code just to find that that they hardcoded /usr/local/bin/python2.3. If you aren't using distutils to install for some reason, you might want to recommend that the installer change the shebang line in your installation instructions.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco