John J. Lee wrote:
The key question from my point of view is: can I write commercial
sell-if-I-want-to applications using Qt? If it is GPL, then I guess
the answer is 'no'?

Yes, you can write commercial apps.  It's multi-licensed (commercial,
GPL, etc.): you get to pick the license(s) you want to use.  Read the
licenses.

PyQt's licensing follows Qt's very closely, so no real complications
there.  Note PyQt (including a Qt license for use only with PyQt) is
actually far cheaper than Qt alone (if you buy Blackadder).

ok, thanks. I've just had a quick browse of the licence notes at the PyQt website.

I guess I meant: "can I write commercial closed-source software *without paying anything for Qt" - to which I sounds like the answer is definitely "No" :)

Andrew