Rob Cranfill wrote:
NID (No, It Doesn't) ;-) but thanks anyway. To reiterate, the question is how to make RotatingFileHandler do a doRotate() on startup from a *config file*. No mention of that in what you point to.

I don't think that RotatingFileHandler *should* be configurable to do a doRollover() on startup. I would follow up the suggestion of using your own derived class. The config mechanism will allow you to instantiate custom handlers - you only have to take into account (as an earlier poster has indicated) how the evaluation of the handler class (and its constructor arguments) is performed.

BTW - constructor is not just for Java, but C++ too (not to mention C#).

Vinay Sajip