Matt Nordhoff wrote:
John Salerno wrote:
I know it's popular and very handy, but I'm curious if there are purists
out there who think that using something like:

for x in range(10):
    #do something 10 times

is unPythonic. The reason I ask is because the structure of the for loop
seems to be for iterating through a sequence. It seems somewhat
artificial to use the for loop to do something a certain number of
times, like above.

Anyone out there refuse to use it this way, or is it just impossible to
avoid?

Well, you should use "xrange(10)" instead of "range(10)".

  CPython really is naive.  That sort of thing should be a
compile-time optimization.

                                        John Nagle