Kay Schluehr wrote:
Since George Sakkis proposed a new way of doing list comprehensions

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/ac5023ad18b2835f/d3ff1b81fa70c8a7#d3ff1b81fa70c8a7

letting tuples-like objects (x,y,z=0) acting as functions on other
tuples I wonder why this would not be a good starting point of
rethinking anonymus functions?

In Georges proposition the action is

   (x,y,z=0) -> (x,y,z)

i.e. mapping tuples on other tuples. This is equivalent to

lambda x,y,z=0:(x,y,z)

But regarding tuples as actions by means of an arrow "->" would
generalize this idea:

Mappings like that:

   ((x,y),z)   -> x+y-z

   ((x,y=0),z) -> None

should be valid actions too.

What is the audience thinking about that?

IMHO, it's just lambda in disguise, and I'm not sure it's more readable than lambda. You'll have to provide more arguments (sorry for the pun !-) to gain my adhesion. (NB : I could use this syntax without problem, it's just that we already have a syntax for this).

--
bruno desthuilliers
python -c "print '@'.join(['.'.join([w[::-1] for w in p.split('.')]) for p in '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'.split('@')])"