Ivan Illarionov wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Lie wrote:
On May 22, 12:28 pm, NC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On May 21, 1:10 pm, notbob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So, here's my delimna: I want to start a blog.  Yeah, who doesn't.
Yet, I want learn the guts of it instead of just booting up some
wordwank or whatever.
Here's a simple computation to consider...  WordPress' codebase is
approximately a megabyte of PHP code and megabyte of JavaScript code.
Assuming that the average line of that code is 50 characters long, you
are looking at 20,000 lines of code in PHP and as many in JavaScript.
Based on the notion that the average developer out there writes 100
lines a day, either you're in for a two-year project or your product
is going to have seriously reduced functionality compared to something
that's been freely available for years.  What's your choice?
Nope, the core functionality of a blogging software could be
replicated in just a few lines of PHP codes, in the range of tens to
hundreds of lines. If you're creating your own blogging software, you
wouldn't seriously think you'd recreate all those things such as
pingbacks, commenting system, etc, etc, etc. No, you'd start with some
basic core functionalities: a few simple server side includes only.
As he said - it's either a two man-year project or your product is going
to have seriously reduced functionality.  It looks like you are opting
for the latter.

Also, you still need to write the server-side includes.  But they won't
do nearly enough for everything WordPress does.

If the OP wants to learn the guts of the blog or to implement the blog
from scratch, Python/Django would be a better choice than PHP. The
reason is that he can reuse and customize existing high quality
components for all these auth/auth, admin, comments, etc, etc, etc.
Another reason is that Python and Django encourage very clean design
while PHP is too often ends up in "spaghetti SQL wrapped in spaghetti
PHP wrapped in spaghetti HTML". 2 man/year in PHP == 2 man/week in
Python/Django.

You can do the same in PHP. And PHP doesn't create spaghetti code - programmers do. Good programmers write good code in any language. Poor programmers write lousy code - in any language.

And I'd love to see you write WordPress in 2 weeks in Python. That's about 2K LOC. Can't be done with the same functionality - unless you have some 50K lines.

It's going to be very close to the same 2 man years that PHP takes.

And there are Python/Django blog applications that already do almost
everything (and maybe more) that WordPress does. http://byteflow.su/
is one of them (IMHO the most promising).

Ivan

And there are many CMS's written in PHP which do much more than WordPress does. Drupal, Joomla and Mambo come to mind.