Ian Kelly wrote:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Paddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Iam wondering why the peculiar behavior of map when the function in
given as None:

Because that's the way it's always been!  Seriously, I don't know.  I
can tell you that it's going away in Python 3.0, though.

There was a time before zip(). Basically, it's a really useful feature, and the original implementor thought that map() was a reasonable place to put it; it's a somewhat natural outgrowth of the map(func, list1, list2, ... listn) semantics. Since then, after more thought was put into it, it was realized that a separate builtin function is more appropriate for this common use, and thus zip() was born and map(None, ...) was deprecated.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco