Pyogp is the Python-based library being developed by Linden Lab, makers of Second Life, and the programming community of the users of Second Life under the auspices of the SL Architecture Working Group, in order to test and implement open protocols designed to allow anyone to create their own virtual world servers and clients compatible enough with Second Life so that avatars can travel to and from SL and other virtual worlds, keeping identity and inventory intact.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Pyogp
irc://irc.freenode.net/#pyogp

Pyogp is starting to take shape. We've got several developers from Linden Lab contributing code as part of their job, as well as increasing participation from the SL community.

We've standardized on using ZCA as the component architecture and are fleshing out the framework to handle the new inter-operability protocols as well as legacy protocols to allow pyogp clients to be used with the current Second Life and OpenSim servers as well as future virtual world architectures.

Groups and Organizations involved in these and other related projects include:

Linden Lab http://lindenlab.com/
--pyogp https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Pyogp
--Architecture Working Group https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Architecture_Working_Group --AW Groupies https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/AW_Groupies#External_Resources
IBM http://www.ibm.com/virtualworlds/
Cisco http://www.slcn.tv/programs/cisco-techchat
OpenMetaverse http://openmv.org/wiki/Main_Page
--libsecondlife http://www.libsecondlife.org/wiki/Main_Page
OpenSimulator (OpenSim) http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page
OpenViewer http://openviewer.org/
realXtend http://www.realxtend.org/

Lawson English (Saijanai Kuhn, Second Life)