chamalulu wrote:
On Jul 1, 11:24 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
chamalulu schrieb:

Hello.
I think I'm aware of how attribute access is resolved in python. When
referencing a class instance attribute which is not defined in the
scope of the instance, Python looks for a class attribute with the
same name. (For assignment or deletion this is not the case,
thankfully.)
I've been trying to understand why? What is the reason behind, or
practical purpose of, this design decision? Anyone, please enlighten
me.
How else would you resolve methods which are of course defined on the
class but invoked through the instance?

Yes, of course... You're right.
Didn't think of that.
Thank you. I'll go stand in the corner. :)

No need. Also, you can define a class attribute (C++ might call it a static attribute) and access it transparently through an instance.

class C:
 aClassAttribute = 123
 def __init__(self, ...):

c = C()
... do something with c.aClassAttribute ...
I think I haven't got this bound/unbound stuff through my head yet. If
I dir() a class instance I see the methods right there. Are they not
bound to the class instance at instanciation (and as such be
attributes of the class instance)?

/Henrik