On Jul 2, 6:30 pm, "M.-A. Lemburg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You could try to use the Access ODBC driver and access the database
> that way via mxODBC. That would be faster as well:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/technolo...
> (scroll down to table 7.1)
>
> Apart from that option and if you are really in need for larger
> transactions, I'd suggest that you move to SQL Server for processing
> (if you can). Access is not really made for heavy-lifting and big
> transactions.

Thanks for the help.  I'll check those out, in case there's a
performance gain to be had, but I found that ADO can in fact do
exactly what I want; on the comments of the page I previously linked
to which said ADO couldn't was a posting which refuted some of the
OP's claims;  ADO can set some options on it's open connection,
including Max Locks Per Record.  My code now looks like this:

self._connection.Open(self._DSN)
if MAX_LOCKS != None:
    self._connection.Properties("Jet OLEDB:Max Locks Per File").Value
= MAX_LOCKS
rs = win32com.client.Dispatch(r'ADODB.Recordset')

N.B. I'm writing tools software for a 3rd party app which uses an
Access db as it's output format, so I'm locked in.  No way to switch
to SQL server.

Thanks both!
Iain