A.T.Hofkamp wrote:
On 2008-07-09, |e0 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So, i can't use wmi module on linux?

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Lamonte Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think the win32 module is only for windows.

Welcome to the world outside MS.

Many python modules don't actually do anything than passing on calls to an
existing underlying library. They are cheap to make, and make it possible to
use the functionality of the library from a Python program. The down-side is,
as you have discovered, that you need the underlying library to make it work.

And this is of course true both ways. Python users under Windows miss out
on about half [*] of the os module since it's just handing off to the *nix
system
calls. At the same time, *nix users won't be able to add Shell Namespace
Extensions or use the Windows API to monitor directory changes.

So, the answer is no, you cannot use wmi under a non-MS OS. (But what did you
expect, given that wmi means WINDOWS Management Instrumentation?)

I don't know if anyone's tried to get something like WMI running under
Wine. In principal it might work but I suspect it would involve a lot of
time and effort. Strictly, WMI is an implementation of the WBEM [2] standards. Googling around suggests that implementations exist
for Linux but I've no idea how mature or robust they are, and I'm
quite sure they're not going to be using a Windows API model for
their interface.

TJG

[1] A pardonable exaggeration
[2] http://www.dmtf.org/standards/wbem/