Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
R.Meijer wrote:

Jot <jot <at> nad.com> writes:

If she's really gifted i hope she dumps that obsolete monolithic
kernel as soon as she realizes that such beautiful language as python
shouldn't be used on top of ugly, badly designed software.

Did somebody say off-topic?

I'd say it's a "Troll -1". Anyway, that'd be my moderator response over
at Slashdot. As had been said so many times; GNU/Hurd is still a
pipe-dream. Those who think that the Linux kernel is based on faulty
concepts should really get their act together and produce their own
microkernel. Personally, I don't care about the kernel architecture as
long as I've got a system that works right here, now.

Anyway, I myself am 14 years old and I can make simple python scripts
already by learning it off the official tutorial that comes with it.
My tip: let her take her time with a normal adult tutorial, and give
her small assignments every few chapters just so she gets it.

If I may ask, do you think that the "How to think like a Computer
Scientist" is a good starter? I'm 52 years old and learned my basics
with Swan's "Mastering Turbo Pascal 5.5" way back when, but I'm
sincerely wondering what your generation think are hi-class tutorials.

I've got a thirteen-year old daughter to whom I have recently taught the
HTML basics, but she doesn't readily take to actual programming. If
you've got any idea what I should push to her to get her fascinated
about _real_ programming, I'd be obliged. Or maybe her head isn't
screwed together that way, what do I know.

I found "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" a very good book. It was very well written and didn't push too many things onto you at once.

--
Lucas Raab
lvraab located at earthlink.net
dotpyFE located at gmail.com