ssecorp wrote:

    def append(self, item):
        self.stack.append(item)

I can get to see the stack with var.stack but then why even implement
append when I could do self.stack.append(x) etc.
That way you could do away with OO completely.

Umm. Even if you were to write that, self and stack would still be objects, and the "append" would still be a method defined by the stack object, right?

What you seem to be referring to is the Law of Demeter, which is a design guideline for avoiding unnecessary coupling, not an absolute requirement for object-orientation:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Demeter

As for the rest, I suspect you will have more success in using Python if you use it to write Python programs, not Java programs:

    http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html

</F>