Iain King wrote:
On Jul 25, 4:22 pm, Matthew Fitzgibbons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It seems like the probability calculation applies to all three equally,
and can therefore be ignored for the simulations.

The probability affects (1) more.  My reasoning for this being:  as
probability gets lower the number of times you have to loop over the
list increases.  (1) always loops over the full list, but with each
successive iteration (2) and (3) are looping over smaller and smaller
lists.  In the end this adds up, with (1) becoming slower than (2),
even though it starts out quicker.

Iain

I meant the _calculation_ of the probability affects all three equally, not the value itself. As your simulations show, different probabilities affect the algorithms differently; I'm talking about the algorithm to arrive at the probability value.

-Matt