eghansah wrote:

As to the question on how different this is from other frameworks, I think there are certainly many similarities. As I admitted in the writeup, it draws from other projects including django. However, there is one new idea I haven't seen anywhere . . . not yet at least. In keg, I try to use URL pattern matching to run one or more functions required to generate the page the URL is pointing to. For instance, when you try to access a page like http://www.python.org <http://www.python.org/> Keg will run all functions whose URL regex matches the URL requested. Their output is then combined to generate the resulting page. With this approach, we could have functions that generate menus, those that generate page content and those that manage logins. These could all be separately maintained. Keg ties their outputs all together to generate the page. This means you could work on a menu system and not worry about how you will generate ads for the page. The possibilities are endless . . . at least in theory. Also, each function receives the same input. This means that the execution of one function does not really affect the execution of any others. Hopefully this makes debugging much easier. Another good effect of this idea is that all functions can be run in parallel since they are independent.

So make your project an add-on to Django or other frameworks. You tell Django to send all requests to key.py. Keg.py runs the pattern matcher, call the functions, and re-assembles the result to pass back to Django for delivery. The functions then have all other components of Django available.

In other words, don't reinvent the wheel, invent a new wheel cover*.

Terry Jan Reedy

This is possibly a new version of an old saying. Other endings I found on Google (first 2000 hits) are '', 'improve it', 'improve on it', 'just add new tyres', 'just identify a colleague (who has done it)', 'Patch, extend or subclass an existing module', 're-invent its use!', 'write something new', and '(or worse, a flat tire)'.