norseman wrote:
Tim;
    Finally got a chance to test your snippet. Thank you for it!

I took the liberty of flushing it out a bit.
================
#!/---
#
import os
import win32com.client

excel = win32com.client.Dispatch( 'Excel.Application' )
excel.Visible=1                # shows the spreadsheet (can be handy)
xlCSV = 6
                               # substitute for list generation
list = ["c:\\temp\\test.xls", "c:\\temp\\test1.xls"]

for nm in list:
  csv = os.path.splitext( nm )[0] + '.csv'
  print "Procesing file:", csv
  if os.path.exists(csv):      # window$ won't auto overwrite
    os.unlink(csv)
  wb = excel.Workbooks.Open( nm )
  wb.SaveAs( csv, xlCSV )
  print wb.Close()             # requires manual verification
                               #  eliminating unattended runs

#wb.Exit()  & wb.Quit()        # generate ERROR(s) - no such thing(s)
                               #  leaving Excel open

excel.Visible=0                # actually closes Excel if no sheet open
                               #  verified via task manager

print "Check to see if this worked."

#                              end of file
=================
The above does in fact work.
Using the above I have a few questions.
Documentation on xlCSV                      came from where?
      "       on .Workbooks.Open(file.xls)  came from ???
      "       on .SaveAs( filename, xlCSV ) came from ???
      "       on .Close()                   came from ???

MSDN has rather extensive documentation on the Excel object model, although it is somewhat spread out. Search for "Excel object model".

I cheated on xlCSV. That's the name of the symbol, and I believe it will even be available as win32com.client.constants.xlCSV after you instantiate the application, but I just searched the web for "xlCSV" and hard-coded the 6.

Tell me about the lack of the .Exit() and/or .Quit(), please.

Workbooks don't exit or quit. Workbooks can be closed, but exit is something that applies to the application (excel, in your case). You should also be able to say
   excel = None
to get rid of the app.

The Workbook.Close method accepts parameters; you should be able to get it to skip the dialog. I believe that wb.Close( False ) should do this.

--
Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.