On Aug 18, 11:17 pm, "Shawn Milochik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

> The easiest solution (in my opinion) is to write a bash script to
> execute your Python script, and use that bash script to add those
> environment variables.

Agreed.  Wrap it in a shell script, easier to read and grow than a
oneliner on the crontab.

> The most likely file you'll want to run is
> .bashrc in your home directory. If you're on a Mac, it's .bash_login
> instead.
>
> Example:
>
> #/usr/bin/env bash
>
> source ~/.bashrc
> path/my_script.py

I for one don't have $HOSTNAME defined in my .bashrc file.  I doubt
this is likely to give him much joy.

> Something like that should take care of it. If not, get creative --
> add the "env" command to your bash script and have it send the output
> to a file: env > cron_env.txt

Again no. The reason os.environ can't find HOSTNAME is that it is NOT
defined in the environment, if env can find it os.environ should be
able to as well.