Derek Martin wrote:
Zero is a problem, no matter how you slice it.

I definitely agree with that. Depends on the the real problem that is behind the OP:s question.

Zero can be considered
positive or negative (mathematically, 0 = -0).

I've read quite a few articles written by mathematicians and mathematically oriented engineers, and my impression is that most of them, and therefore me included, use those words with the following meaning:

    Positive: >0
    Negative: <0

When zero is to be included, the following terms are used:

    Non-negative: >=0
    Non-positive: <=0

Using this convention, zero is neither positive nor negative. Wikipedia seems to agree with that:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_number

/MiO