Don Spaulding wrote:
On Sep 16, 8:29 pm, Todd Whiteman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've put together a tutorial that shows off how to build a GUI
application using XULRunner (same architectural components as Firefox
uses) that can be used in conjunction with the Python programming language.

The tutorial covers how to build a Python/XULRunner GUI
application:http://pyxpcomext.mozdev.org/no_wrap/tutorials/pyxulrunner/python_xul...

I get to the "Running" step and run into "Couldn't load XPCOM."

Does this work on x86_64?  Or have I made a rookie mistake?

Hi Don,

A good question. Mozilla only provide 32-bit XulRunner applications by default, you you'll need to install the necessary 32-bit compatability libraries on your Linux machine, i.e. for Ubuntu it's something like:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk

Then you should be able to run the example. You can check the dependencies using something the following commands, there should be no missing dependencies:
$ cd pyxpcom_gui_app/xulrunner
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ldd ./xulrunner-bin

It is possible to use a 64-bit version, but you'll need to compile this yourself (or find somewhere that provides these x86_64 versions). Note that the PythonExt project does not offer Python bindings for x86_64 either (it's on my todo list), you can compile the PythonExt part yourself as well if you need a 64-bit version.

Cheers,
Todd