Fredrik Lundh wrote:
Mensanator wrote:

I'm not the one who wrote sympy, so I guess I'm not
the only one who didn't notice it.

If it's a well known problem, then sorry I wasted
your time.

Given that 2.5 explicitly warns about this specific change:

 >>> as = 1
<stdin>:1: Warning: 'as' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6

it's an unknown issue only for people who has 1) never used their code under 2.5, or 2) never looks at the output produced by their programs.

The PEP-5 process guarantees that "users will have at least a year to test their programs and migrate them from use of the deprecated construct to the alternative one," and Python 2.5 was released *two* years ago.

So it sure looks like the SimPy folks ignored the established process. Why they've done that is probably a more interesting issue than the change itself.

No warnings show up when importing the offending module:

Python 2.5.1 (r251:54869, Apr 18 2007, 22:08:04)
>>> from sympy.mpmath import specfun

So what could be suppressing the warning?

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco