On Oct 7, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:

I believe that all (or nearly all) Unix variants come with Python preinstalled. Ubuntu, at least, has a lot of system programs written in Python. Even Mac OS X requires Python.

Yes, but with significant differences between different Python distributions, you might be safer bundling whatever version of Python your app requires with the app itself. Otherwise, you risk your app failing (and probably puking up runtime exceptions all over the poor user's lap) on some distros or versions.

(My Mac OS X machine comes with Python 2.5.1, for example, which is hardly the latest.)

Best,
- Joe