Terry Reedy wrote:
Boris Borcic wrote:

- allowing containment tests, ie "x in Number" to invoke isinstance() in the background when the container is of type <type>. My brain is too muddled by flu at the moment, to see whether Guido's fabled time machine allowed him to already provide all the necessities in py26.
Any takers ?

I believe this could be done by adding a __contains__ method to type.
(It does not have one now). Then x in X should work for all classes that are instances of type or a subclass thereof.

Can this be done short of patching the source and recompiling (eg, with ctypes perhaps) ?

Cheers, BB