Johannes Bauer wrote:
Terry Reedy schrieb:
Johannes Bauer wrote:
Hello group,

I'm trying to use a htmllib.HTMLParser derivate class to parse a website
which I fetched via
httplib.HTTPConnection().request().getresponse().read(). Now the problem
is: As soon as I pass the htmllib.HTMLParser UTF-8 code, it chokes. The
code is something like this:
I believe you are confusing unicode with unicode encoded into bytes with
the UTF-8 encoding.  Having a problem feeding a unicode string, not
'UFT-8 code', which in Python can only mean a UTF-8 encoded byte string.

I also believe I am. Could you please elaborate further?

I am a unicode neophyte. My source of info is the first 3 or so chapters of the unicode specification.
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.1.0/
I recommend that or other sites for other questions. It took me more than one reading of the same topics in different texts to pretty well 'get it'

Do I understand correctly when saying that type 'str' has no associated
default encoding, but type 'unicode' does?

I am not sure what you mean. Unicode strings in Python are internally stored in USC-2 or UCS-4 format.

> Does this mean that really
the only way of coping with that stuff is doing what I've been doing?

Having two text types in 2.x was necessary as a transition strategy but has also been something of a mess. You did it one way. Jerry gave you an alternative that I could not have explained. Your choice. Or use 3.0.

..
Hmmm. I suppose you're right there. Python 3.0 really sounds quite nice,
do you know when will approximately be ready?

For my current purposes, it is ready enough. Developers *really* hope to get 3.0 final out by mid-December. The schedule was pushed back because a) the outside world has not completely and cleanly switched to unicode text and b) some people who just started with the release candidate have found import bugs that earlier testers did not. It still needs more testing from more different users (hint, hint).

Terry Jan Reedy