(Note: repost from python-dev)

The ``compiler.ast`` module makes parsing Python source-code and AST manipulation relatively painless and it's straight-forward to implement a transformer class.

However, I find that the ``compiler.pycodegen`` module imposes a hard limit on the length of functions since it calculates jump points in a recursion.

I'm using this module to compile an XML dynamic template into Python code (akin to "Mako") and functions may grow to a rather large size.

Now it seems that the ``parser`` module, which parses source code into ``parser.st`` trees does not have the same limitations, however, I could not find a transformer class compatible with its tree structure.

What's the recommended way of working with the AST tree from the ``parser`` module?

\malthe