[EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
If you're an Emacs user who has used both python-mode.el (the python mode
code distributed with Python and XEmacs) and python.el (the python mode code
distributed with GNU Emacs), I'd like to get your impressions on how they
compare and where you feel the bugs lie.  I'm nominally one of the
python-mode.el maintainers (though not very active) but have never tried the
GNU python.el.

Hi Skip.

I stumbled on python.el last year and very very *very* quickly replaced it with my good old python-mode.el. The first and foremost reason being, IIRC, the lack of proper support for working with the embedded interactive interpreter (one killer-feature of python-mode). Honnestly, I don't think I've used python.el more than five minutes (not having C-c ! and C-c C-c working as expected being a definitive show-stopper for me), so I can't say much more about python.el.

wrt/ python-mode.el:
- the most annoying bug is syntax coloration of triple-quoted strings, that doesn't correctly handles quotes within the triple-quoted part. - a slightly less but still annoying problem (I wouldn't call it a bug) is the handling of indentation for nested litteral dicts/lists/tuples.

Note that I don't even know if python.el does a better job here. If no one provides more feedback on it, let me know and I'll give it a closer look.

HTH