Bengt Richter wrote:
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:06:07 -0500, Steve Holden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Trent Mick wrote:

[Baza wrote]

Am I right in thinking that >>>print "\a" should sound the system, 'bell'?

It works on the shell on Windows for me (WinXP).

Trent

Interesting. From a Cygwin bash shell I got an elegant little dingish sort of a beep (my volume control was set kind of low). I then ran the same code in a Windows shell and nearly deafened myself. It appears that the volume control doesn't affect the Windows XP commans shell beep - even muting the Windows audio output doesn't stop it (though it does stop the Cygwin beep). This could cause heart attacks!

It's a weird thing. But if I run print "\a" from idle it does not work. But if I save as a file, say, sound.py. Then run that with python sound.py it does.

Why is that?