Paul Boddie wrote:
there are a few things with
regard to layouts which are very difficult with Web technologies (and
aren't getting any easier, either) but which are almost trivial with
classic graphical user interface toolkits, and of course there are
cases where the roles are reversed.

I've written quite a lot of desktop gui apps, and I
don't think I've ever felt the need for free-flowing
widget layouts. To say that a desktop gui api is
severely lacking without this feature is somewhat
overstating the case.

Also, I think that proportional resizing is overrated.
In my experience, either it's sufficient to just
resize one pane and keep the others a fixed size, or
you really want user control over the size of each
pane individually. Proportional resizing is a
compromise that just ends up annoying me.

--
Greg