Martin v. Löwis wrote:
Still, I wished it were possible call sys.setdefaultencoding
at the very beginning of a script.

Why isn't that possible?

The default encoding was used when combining byte-oriented
text and unicode-oriented text. Such combination is no longer
supported, hence the notion of a default encoding
has disappeared. You have to perform conversion between bytes
and strings now explicitly.

I meant setting the default encoding which is used by print (e.g.) when
outputting the internal unicode string to a file.
As far as I understood, currently I am fixed to setting either
the 'locale' or to switch settings for each output file (by settting
the _encoding property.
I wished I could override the locale settings within a Python script.

Thanks,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch