On Oct 16, 2008, at 11:25 PM, Steve Holden wrote:

Pat wrote:
Faheem Mitha wrote:
Hi,

I need to match a string of the form

capital_letter underscore capital_letter number

against a string of the form

anything capital_letter underscore capital_letter number
some_stuff_not_starting with a number

<snip>
DUKE00001_plateD_A12.CEL.

Thanks in advance. Please cc me with any reply.
Faheem.

While I can't provide you with an answer, I can say that I've been using
RegExBuddy (for Windows, about $40, 90 day money back guarantee,
http://www.regexbuddy.com/) for quite a few months now and it's greatly
helped me with creating/learning/debugging regexps.  You put in your
regexp in the top field and all the possibilities in the bottom field. Whatever matches is instantly highlighted. You keep modifying your RE
until only the correct matches are highlighted. Talk about instant
gratification!  No, I'm in no way affiliated with this company.

There's also a free *IX version that's quite similar to RegExBuddy but I don't have the name since I'm writing this while on a Windows platform.

Or you could use the Kodos tool, written in Python and well worth a
trial since it's free. Google is, as always, your friend in locating it.

I use this one as my regex playground:
http://cthedot.de/retest/