On Oct 18, 12:43 am, "Aaron \"Castironpi\" Brady"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Oct 17, 10:44 pm, Chris McComas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > i have a python script that is computing ratings of sports teams.
>
> > what i'm trying to do is setup an iteration for the rating so that the
> > python program recomputes the rating if any of the value difference is
>
> > > 0.00005. it's common for sports ratings to run such iterations...
>
> > any tips, pointers on where to look on how to do this the best way?
>
> > right now i'm getting the ratings from the file, limiting my results
> > to 1 entry, the biggest number, if it's > 0.00005, then i want it to
> > compute the ratings again. if it is < 0.00005 then it just goes on to
> > the next step in the file.
>
> > thnx in advance.
>
> Can you cut and paste a few lines?  Otherwise I assume your file looks
> like this:
>
> A 0.00001
> B 0.00003
> C 0.00006
>
> You interpret the file like this:
>
> name= A, rating= 0.00001
> name= B, rating= 0.00003
> name= C, rating= 0.00006
> --recompute--
>
> new values:
> name= A, rating= 0.00001
> name= B, rating= 0.00002
> name= C, rating= 0.00004
>
> new file:
> A 0.00001
> B 0.00002
> C 0.00004
>
> Am I right so far?

actually i'm running it online, with a mysql db. so in the db there is
a table CollegeYear with the following fields:

name
rating
change
wp

then another table Games

date
year
team_1
team_1_score
team_2
team_2_score

it goes through and calculates everything, then when it's time to
compute the rating i have say this code:

http://dpaste.com/85300/

it goes through and computes them, then add the new rating and
absolute value of the changed rating to the db. what i need now is a
way to get the largest entry for 'change' and if it is greater than
0.00005 then do this code again. if it is less than 0.00005 then we're
done.