alex goldman wrote:
Daniel Silva wrote:

At any rate, FOLD must fold.

I personally think GOTO was unduly criticized by Dijkstra. With the benefit
of hindsight, we can see that giving up GOTO in favor of other primitives
failed to solve the decades-old software crisis.

What software crisis? Knuth (among others) has demonstrated that it's possible to do structured programming in assembly language (though I have to say that not all his MIX was particularly well-structured).

The danger in GOTO is that it allows the undisciplined programmer to develop a badly-structured solution to a programming problem. A disciplined programmer will write well-structured code with whatever tools come to hand.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/