En Sat, 18 Oct 2008 05:52:04 -0300, Stef Mientki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:

I'm running Python 2.5 and want my programs to run at least under Windows and Linux (preferable also Mac).
So I guess I should always use relative paths.

 From most modules I can call a global function,
that should import a dictionary from path deeper than the module itself.
The import is done in the global function.
In that global function, I get the modules path by

  SourceFile = sys._getframe(1).f_code.co_filename

Why don't you let the caller tell you its own location, using __file__? The above code is too much magic for me.

now to be sure to succeed the import (at least I was thinking this would always be successful :-(
I need to
1- add the path of the module to be imported to sys.path
(or do a dot import)

Yes.

2- keep track of already done imports, to give a reload the next time
(or maybe always do an import followed by an reload ?)

A reload is only required if the module was changed on disk and you want to get the later version.

Now what I don't understand is what relative path should I use in 1:
- relative to the main application
- relative to the working directory were I started the application
- relative to the current working directory
- relative to the module that is doing the import
- relative to the module that called the global function

Relative imports assume you are inside a *package*, and they're relative to the current module location, each dot being one level above. See http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0328/

I would be pleased if someone could enlighten me,
because this information is hard to find.

Yes. How import works is very poorly documented, unfortunately. You'll have to dig into the various PEPs and the bug tracker.

--
Gabriel Genellina