Evelien wrote:
Thanks Robert for your reply. I must say I am kind of disappointed if
that is the only solution. I thought that such a standard problem as
least squares fitting, would always give you an estimation of the
error bars, without having to look up how you can convert a covariance
matrix into error bars...

If you want an all-singing, all-dancing statistics-oriented nonlinear least-squares interface, you can use scipy.odr. The numerical algorithm in leastsq() outputs a covariance matrix naturally. Interpreting that to give you statistical error bars requires some care and judgment. scipy.optimize is not a statistical package.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco