On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:47:32 -0700, AEB wrote:

> Hello, my supervisor has requested that I write a program to display 2D
> waves in 3D using Python.  Basically I have a time series file that has
> the heights of the wave over time steps, and I want to extrude these
> waves lengthwise so that they appear in a 3D manor.  I am not very
> familiar with Python development, could someone point me in a good
> direction, and maybe comment if this is a little to ambitious for a
> first time python user?

This doesn't sound so much like a Python problem but more a graphics
programming problem in general and depends on the way you want to display
the data.  OpenGL?  Tkinter canvas?

> I do have moderate programming experience in other languages (java, c/c
> ++, vb.net).

If you are new to Python you should work through the tutorial in the
documentation.  For people with programming experience in other languages
`Dive into Python` is a recommended free Python text.

Ciao,
        Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch