Hello

I'm using urllib2 to download web pages. The strange thing in the code
below, is that it seems like urllib2.urlopen retries indefinitely by
itself instead of raising an exception:

=====
        timeout = 30
        socket.setdefaulttimeout(timeout)

        i = 0
        while i < 5:
                try:
                        url  = 'http://www.acme.com'
                        print url
                        req = urllib2.Request(url, None, headers)
                        response = urllib2.urlopen(req).read()
                except:
                        #Never called :-/
                        print Timed-out."
                        if i == 4:
                                print "Exiting."
                                connection.close(True)
                                sys.exit()
                        else:
                                print "Trying again"
                                i = i + 1
                                time.sleep(10)
                        continue
=====

I haven't found a switch within urllib2 that would tell it to raise an
exception after it times out trying to download a web page. Any idea
how to have it stop trying after 5 tries?

Thank you.