Stewart Midwinter wrote:
I would like to do some image / map manipulation with Python.

I've got a very large map file in .png format. My thought is to chop
it up into small tiles using some method.  What Python module would be
helpful for this?

The PIL. I'm not sure how well it handles files of your size (not least because you haven't actually *said* how large it is).

  http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

If that doesn't work, non-Python software, like ImageMagick, might do the trick.

  http://www.imagemagick.org/

Next, when I obtain the start and end co-ordinates of a user's trip,
I'd like to stitch together the approriate tiles and present the
images that show the terrain the user has travelled over.

Lastly, I'd like to plot the GPS tracklog of the trip on top of the map.

Any suggestions for modules or projects to help accomplish this?  It's
a non-commercial hobby application.

Even if the PIL can't handle the big image, it should work like a charm piecing together the tiles afterwards.

I use PROJ.4 via pipes for cartographic projections.

  http://proj.maptools.org/

There is an addon to the matplotlib plotting library that contains a binding for the PROJ.4 library, but I haven't gotten it to work on my Mac.

  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/toolkits.html

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80706&package_id=142792

--
Robert Kern