hi Ben,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm learning Python by teaching myself, and after going through several tutorials I feel like I've learned the basics. Since I'm not taking a class or anything, I've been doing challenges/programs to reinforce the material and improve my skills. I started out with stuff like "Guess my number" games, hangman, etc. and moved on to making poker and card games to work with classes. For GUIs I created games like minesweeper, and a GUI stock portfolio tracker. I am out of ideas and am looking for programming projects, challenges, or programs that have helped you'll learn. I'm working on the project Euler problems, but I find that they don't really help my programming skills; they are more math focused. Suggestions? What has been useful or interesting to you? I'd also welcome sources of textbook type problems, because the ones provided in tutorials tend to be repetitive.

Thanks,
Ben

I'm working on an open source alternative for MatLab / LabView (math again ;-)
and there's still a lot to do
- (re-)design of the core engine (multi thread ?)
- implementation of webkit under wxPython
- integration of Scintilla and rpdb2
- Vpython integration under Linux / Mac (Windows works)
- something like Okular, but then platform independant
- integrating of data acquisition hardware, soundcard, National Instruments AD-converters, ...
here is a somewhat older version of my notes
 http://mientki.ruhosting.nl/data_www/pylab_works/pw_manual.pdf
all separate notes until now can be seen under the paragraph PyLab works here
 http://pic.flappie.nl

cheers,
Stef