On Nov 21, 2008, at 2:08 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

   a, b = line.split()

Note that in a case like this, you may want to consider using partition instead of split:

  a, sep, b = line.partition(' ')

This way, if there happens to be more than one space (for example, because the Unicode character you're mapping to happens to be a space), it'll still work. It also better encodes the intention, which is to split only on the first space in the line, rather than on every space.

(It so happens I ran into exactly this issue yesterday, though my delimiter was a colon.)

Cheers,
- Joe