James Stroud wrote:
Hello All,

I subclassed dict and overrode __setitem__. When instances are unpickled, the __setstate__ is not called before the keys are assigned via __setitem__ in the unpickling protocol.

I googled a bit and found that this a bug filed in 2003:

http://bugs.python.org/issue826897

It is still "open" with "normal" priority.

Here is the ugly "fix" I'm basically going to have to live with, it seems:

class DictPlus(dict):
  def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
    self.extra_thing = ExtraThingClass()
    dict.__init__(self, *args, **kwargs)
  def __setitem__(self, k, v):
    try:
      do_something_with(self.extra_thing, k, v)
    except AttributeError:
      self.extra_thing = ExtraThingClass()
      do_something_with(self.extra_thing, k, v)
    dict.__setitem__(self, k, v)
  def __setstate__(self, adict):
    pass

This violates this:

  Beautiful is better than ugly.

I can't imagine this bug has survived but I also can't imagine any better way to do this without specifying a different protocol, which would probably break other pickling I'm doing. I don't feel like finding out right now.

Maybe repeal pep 307 ;o)

James

--
James Stroud