Ville Vainio wrote:
Boring code is code that numbs your senses with constant flow of
boilerplate crap, memory management and redundant type declarations
and general blah blah that you skip when you are trying to figure out
what a piece of code does.

The python code I've read so far has looked like that. Not type declarations, but loooong class declarations.

Also, Guido recently urged people to explicitly write recursions rather than to use reduce - which I thought was completely in line with what I've seen as python's goals: readability/understandability as more important than terseness/non-boringness.

> It's a code that you wish you could train a
monkey to write for you while you go for lunch. Think C++ or Java.

Oh, yes. C++ and Java can be super boring. C++ can also be pretty hard to understand - it's not all boilerplate.

I'm not saying Python is always boring (maybe I've just been in an easily bored mood when I've read Python stuff), and I'm not saying that boring is always bad.

Yesterday, I read some marketing prop describing a proprietary IDE (don't remember what language) as "exciting", and I went "Ugh, no thanks! Give me calm computing." And then I thought - wait: I just ranted about boringness on comp.lang.python. Can't boring and calm sometimes mean the same thing?