On Dec 26, 2008, at 19:05 , robert.t.ly...@seagate.com wrote:

but this seems overkill to me. Can you tell I am coming to Python from Matlab?

if you're coming from matlab, then you should think of python lists more like cell arrays than matrices: you can have lists of arbitrary data types, so multiply is not going to work in the matrix way.

check out http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais/bryant/numerical_computing/ python_matlab.pdf

but more importantly, you need to install numpy (which has the matrix stuff) and scipy (which has the scientific packages). What I do is go to www.enthought.com and they have a single-download package geared specifically for scientists.

                                        bb

--
Brian Blais
bbl...@bryant.edu