sprad schrieb:
I've done a good bit of Perl, but I'm new to Python.

I find myself doing a lot of typecasting (or whatever this thing I'm
about to show you is called), and I'm wondering if it's normal, or if
I'm missing an important idiom.

It is normal, although below you make things needlessly complicated.

Python is strongly typed, which is a good thing. It refuses to guess you mean when you multiply a string with a number. Or how a number is to be formatted when printed.

For example:

bet = raw_input("Enter your bet")
if int(bet) == 0:
    # respond to a zero bet

You might better do

bet = int(raw_input("Enter your bet"))

because then you don't need to later on convert bet again and again.

But *one* conversion you need.

Or later, I'll have an integer, and I end up doing something like
this:

print "You still have $" + str(money) + " remaining"

This is more concisely & with much better control over the output-format (think e.g. digits of a fraction) using string-interpolation. See

http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting-operations

for an overview.

In your case, a simple

print "You still have $%i remaining" % bet

does the trick.

Diez