Joseph Garvin wrote:
Another solution is to just install 2.4 and then make an alias for
yum='/usr/bin/python2.3 yum' or whatever the path is :)

If it were just 'yum' under Fedora 3, I could probably do that but looking at the dependencies on the python2.3 package in Synaptic there must be about 50 other packages mentioned. Which one of these specifically use python2.3 to execute their .py scripts and which ones just use python2.3 shared libraries is another matter which will take much work to discover. But thanks for your suggestion nonetheless.

Edward Diener wrote:

I can install Python 2.4 on the Fedora 3 Linux system, but after I do
a number of Linux utilities and commands, like yum, stop working
because they were dependent on the Python 2.3 installation. What
happens is that Python 2.4 replaces the /usr/bin/python module with
the Python 2.4 version. If I replace /usr/bin/python with the Python
2.3 version executable, which is still on my system, that all the
aforesaid modules depend on, they start working again, but I can no
longer execute modules, like IDLE, which was part of my Python 2.4
distribution.

What is the solution to this ? The operating system was installed with
Python 2.3 and the development libraries but no tools, doc, or
otherwise. I have installed Python 2.4 with all the RPMs and copied
down the Python 2.4 documentation to my machine ( since
python24-docs.rpm gives one very little ). I would naturally like to
use Python 2.4 without killing all the commands that depend on Python
2.3. No doubt these commands have their modules in the site libraries
for Python 2.3. Of course I would love to update these dependencies to
use Python 2.4 but newer RPMs for these commands do not exist.

I do not know whether this is a Python problem or a Fedora 3 problem
but I thought I would ask here first and see if anybody else had the
same problem. I imagine the problem might exist on other Linux systems.