Michele Simionato wrote:
On Jan 14, 3:27 am, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:>
I don't understand why some folks spew such violent rhetoric against
the idea of augmenting Python with features to alert you automatically
when you depart from the convention, so that you can check that the
departure is actually what you wanted.  A lot of the time, I find, the
departures are accidental and automated checks would save me
considerable debugging.

I would be fine having something like pylint built-in in the language
and running at every change of the source code (unless disabled with a
command line switch). I think this is the only reasonable solution to
get some additional protection we can hope for. A true change of the
language IMO is impossible, both technically, politically and for
legacy issue. Also, I am not convinced it would be a good idea, even
theoretically. It is easier to write a new Python-like language
from scratch than to add type checking to Python (I think you
were not proposing adding type checking in this post, right?).

Integrating checkers with the interpreter is something that could/should be done by an IDE. It should not be too hard, for instance, to give IDLE a configurable run-thru-PyLint option keyed, for instance, to shift-F5 (given that F5 is run-with-CPython). Alt-F5 for instance could be run-Pylint-and-if-no-errors-then-CPython.