pyt...@bdurham.com wrote:
Is there an efficient way to multi-slice a fixed with string into individual fields that's logically equivalent to the way one would slice a delimited string using .split()?

Background: I'm parsing some very large, fixed line-width text files that have weekly columns of data (52 data columns plus related data). My current strategy is to loop through a list of slice()'s to build a list of the specific field values for each line. This is fine for small files, but seems inefficient. I'm hoping that there's a built-in (C based) or 3rd party module that is specifically designed for doing multiple field extractions at once.

You could try the struct module:

>>> import struct
>>> struct.unpack("3s4s1s", b"123abcdX")
('123', 'abcd', 'X')