Up until today, I never needed to pass any arguments to a Python program.

I did all the requisite reading and found that I should use optparse instead of getopt. I read the documentation and since the words "simple" and "easy" often appeared in the examples and documentation, I just knew that it would be a snap to implement.

Problem is that all I wanted to do was pass a one flag to the program "-d", for to enable debug mode. Several hours later I gave up after optparse complained about every variation I tried.

What does it take to pass single parameter to a program? http://docs.python.org/library/optparse.html stated that programs always have options. Is that so? What about "dir /s"?

getopt resolved my immediate need, but I would like to know how one could use optparse to extract out the options from something like "dir /s /b".