En Sat, 07 Feb 2009 01:18:37 -0200, er <eroberer...@gmail.com> escribió:

Somebody much more intelligent than I said today that someone told him that Python lists are just dictionaries with lists hashed by integers.

In addition to all other responses you received, I'd add that lists and dictionaries share the same syntax a[x] and the same magic methods in Python code (__getitem__, __setitem__, __delitem__). But the similarity stops here. The CPython implementation has two different sets of methods, one for sequences and other for mappings, so when you override e.g. __getitem__ in Python code it replaces either sq_item or mp_subscript depending on which one is defined.

Other implementations might choose to do different, but at least on standard PC hardware I can't imagine how to efficiently implement lists as dictionaries...

--
Gabriel Genellina