> On Feb 3, 7:30 pm, andrew cooke <and...@acooke.org> wrote:
>
> > the exact details of what you are reporting seem a bit odd, but i have
> > seen a similar error because i have tried to use my own account to
> > install the package, instead of using root.
>
> > what i believe happens is that easy_install first tries to create the
> > "test" file, and then checks it is there.  if it is not there, you get
> > an error.  normally the error explains that you need to run as root,
> > but i assume in your case it doesn't - that seems odd, but it seemed
> > worth mentioning anyway.
>
> > so if you have not done so, instead of
>
> >   python setup.py install
>
> > do
>
> >   sudo python setup.py install
>
> > more generally, i have used opensuse 11.0 and 11.1, and generally
> > things work just fine, so i would check you are following all the
> > instructions correctly.
>
> > good luck,
> > andrew

Well, finally it worked. I even uninstalled python and all related
stuff with yast2, installed it all again, then

wget http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
su
/path/to/python ez_setup.py

and I got the same error: a certain file could not be created, and

 /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/

does not exist. Well, I just created them manually (/usr/local/lib was
empty) and it worked.

When I tried to use easy_install for mnemosyne, I got the same error
_but_ this time I was told about running as root (I did it from
another terminal). Now I got it installed (still not working,
something called qt) but the python installation problem is solved.
Thank you very much to all those who contributed.

Regards,

David