jeremit0 wrote:
I have read a text file using the command

lines = myfile.readlines()

and now I want to seach those lines for a particular string. I was hoping there was a way to "find" that string in a similar way as searching simply a simple string. I want to do something like

lines.find.('my particular string')

Is there a module that already exists that allows me to do this or will I have to created my own method?
Thanks,
Jeremy

After all the many suggestions (there were many good ones) I found something even better in "Python in a Nutshell". I should have found it earlier. I can do the following:

a = lines.index('my favorite line\n')

and a is the index of lines where "my favorite line' is located. I hadn't seen this earlier, but it suits my purposes perfectly.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions,
Jeremy